The famous researcher in human use of DMT and psylocybin and author of the book DMT: The spirit molecule. Rick Strassman reviews psychedelic drugs in general, and DMT in particular. It then traces the DMT research project from its earliest intimations through the maze of committees and review boards to its actual performance. He has not only discovered the path to a very rare and intimate psychedelic experience but even further the contents of this experiece have proven somewhat astonishing.
There is a high rate of DMT users reporting contact with alien-like beings. The fact that users have reported this taps into extra-terrestial scenarios but also it is the first time a psychedelic is having such a unanimous effect on a wide base of users. Rick Strassman talks about the effects of DMT and has a closer look in the pharmaceutical and psychedelic aspect.
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles1. Strassman RJ, Letourneau P, Wessells NK: Elongation of axons in an agar matrix that does not support cell locomotion. Experimental Cell Research 818:482-487, 1973
2. Strassman Rick J, Wessells NK: Orientational preferences shown by microspikes of growing nerve cells in vitro. Tissue and Cell 5:412-417, 1973
3. Strassman Rick J, Galanter M: The Abhidharma: A cross-cultural application of meditation. International Journal of Social Psychiatry 26:283-290, 1980
4. Risch SC, Janowsky DS, Lisansky EJ, Strassman Rick J, Rausch JL, Gillin JC, Judd LL, Huey L: Dexamethasone effects on self-rated mood in depressed inpatients. American Journal of Psychiatry 141:147-148, 1984
5. Strassman Rick J: Adverse reactions to psychedelic drugs: A review of the literature. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease 172:577-595, 1984
6. Greer G, Strassman RJ: Information on "Ecstasy." (letter) American Journal of Psychiatry 142:1391, 1985
7. Strassman Rick: Light, season, and affective disorders. Western Journal of Medicine 142:678, 1985
8. Kennedy B, Strassman RJ, Ziegler M, Janowsky DS, Risch SC, Huey L, Gillin JC: Cardiovascular, catecholamine and psychological responses to TRH in four types of affective disorder patients. Hormone and Metabolic Research 19:164-167, 1987
9. Strassman RJ, Peake GT, Qualls CR, Lisansky EJ: A model for the study of the acute effects of melatonin in man. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 65:847-852, 1987
10. Rosenthal M, Strassman RJ: Melatonin does not impair corticotropin response of isolated pituitary cells. Neuroendocrinology Letters 10:27-32, 1988
11. Strassman RJ, Peake GT, Qualls CR, Lisansky EJ: Lack of an acute modulatory effect of melatonin on human nocturnal thyrotropin and cortisol secretion. Neuroendocrinology 48:387-393, 1988
12. Strassman RJ, Appenzeller O, Lewy AJ, Qualls CR, Peake GT: Increase in plasma melatonin, beta-endorphin and cortisol after a high-altitude mountain run. Relationship to performance and lack of an effect of naltrexone. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 69:540-545, 1989
13. Lisansky EJ, Peake GT, Strassman RJ, Qualls CR, Meikle AW, Risch SC, Fava G, Zownir-Brazis M, Hochla P, Britton D: Augmented pituitary corticotropin response to a threshold dosage of human corticotropin-releasing hormone in depressives pre-treated with metyrapone. Archives of General Psychiatry 46:641-649, 1989
14. Strassman Rick, Qualls CR, Lisansky EJ, Peake GT: Sleep deprivation reduces LH secretion independently of melatonin. Acta Endocrinologica (Scandinavica) 124:646-651, 1991
15. Strassman RJ, Qualls CR, Lisansky EJ, Peake GT: Elevated rectal temperature produced by all night bright light is reversed by melatonin infusion in men. Journal of Applied Physiology 71:2178-2182, 1991
16. Strassman RJ: Human hallucinogenic drug research in the United States: A present-day case history and a review of the process. Journal of Psychoactive Drugs 23:29-38, 1991
17. Rick Strassman: Human hallucinogen interactions with drugs affecting serotonergic neurotransmission. Neuropsychopharmacology 7:241-243; 1992
18. Lisansky EJ, Hauger R, Strassman RJ, Dorin R, Meikle AW, Brazis M, Qualls CR, Turkin A. Beta-endorphin response to a low dosage of human corticotropin releasing hormone during metyrapone administration in depression. Endocrine Research. 18:241-260, 1992.
19. Strassman RJ, Qualls CR. Dose-response study of N,N-dimethyltryptamine in humans. I. Neuroendocrine, autonomic and cardiovascular effects. Archives of General Psychiatry. 51:85-97, 1994.
20. Strassman RJ, Qualls CR, Uhlenhuth EH, Kellner R. Dose-response study of N,N-dimethyltryptamine in humans. II. Subjective effects and preliminary results of a new rating scale. Archives of General Psychiatry. 51:98-108, 1994.
21. Strassman RJ. Hallucinogenic drugs in psychiatric research and treatment. Perspectives and prospects. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease. 183:127-138, 1995.
22. Strassman RJ. Human psychopharmacology of N,N-dimethyltryptamine. Behavioral Brain Research. 73:121-124, 1996.
23. Grob C, McKenna D, Callaway J, Brito G, Neves E, Oberlaender G, Saide O, Labigalini E, Tacla C, Miranda C, Strassman R, Boone K. Human psychopharmacology of hoasca, a plant hallucinogen used in ritual context in Brazil. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease. 184: 86-94, 1996
24. Strassman RJ, Qualls C, Berg LM. Differential tolerance development to biological and subjective effects of four closely-spaced administrations of N,N-dimethyltryptamine in humans. Biological Psychiatry 39:784-795, 1996
25. Strassman RJ. Endogenous ketamine-like compounds and the NDE: If so, so what? Journal of Near-Death Studies 16:27-42, 1997
26. Bowdle TA, Radant AD, Cowley DS, Kharasch ED, Strassman RJ, Roy-Byrne PP. Psychedelic effects of ketamine in normal volunteers: Relationship to steady-state plasma concentrations. Anesthesiology 88:82-88, 1998
27. Riba J, Rodriguez-Fornelis A, Strassman RJ, Barbanoj M J. Psychometric assessment of the Hallucinogen Rating Scale in two different populations of hallucinogen users. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 62:215-223, 2001
28. Krupitsky EM, Burakov AM, Romanov TN, Grinenko AY, Strassman RJ. Ketamine-assisted psychotherapy (KPT) of heroin addiction: Immediate effects and six month follow-up. Heffter Review of Psychedelic Research 2:88-101, 2001
29. Krupitsky EM, Burakov AM, Romanov TN, Dunaevksy I, Strassman RJ, Grinenko AY. Ketamine psychotherapy for heroin addiction: Immediate effects and two-year follow-up. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment (in press)